A classroom consists of students with different cognitive or learning styles. In a diverse environment, digital educational tools can help bridge the communication gaps between teachers and students.
One such app that makes the classroom more accessible and interactive to even the most introverted students is Flip. Flip(formerly known as. Flipgrid) is an excellent video-based platform that helps in enhancing the interaction between all the participants and the teachers in the classroom. But before diving straight into the features and benefits of using Flip in the classroom, let us throw some light on what defines Flip.
What is Flip?
Flip is a video-based social learning platform that helps educators engage and assess their students. It can be used to create and share short video clips, as well as to view and respond to videos created by others.
Flip is a free and easy way to create discussion in your classroom. It allows teachers to create a space for students to engage in thoughtful conversations about their learning. Students can submit questions, videos, pictures, texts, etc., and can receive responses from the entire class. It is a virtual classroom that allows students to communicate in a safe environment and allows teachers to monitor.
How Flip Works?
Flip is a tool that can be used by students of all ages and abilities. The app is highly accessible and can even be used by those who are blind or have low vision. It is also possible to use Flip with a screen reader. Flip is available as a web app and as a mobile app for iOS and Android devices.
To use Flipgrid, students simply need to create an account and then they can start recording and sharing videos. The app is easy to use and navigate, and students can quickly and easily find the resources they need.
Flip is an excellent tool for promoting student engagement and interaction, and it can be used in a variety of ways. For example, teachers can use Flip to create video lessons, or students can use it to share their work with classmates. It is also a great way for students to get feedback from their peers and teachers. There are multiple benefits that teachers and students can derive from using Flip in the classroom.
Benefits of Using Flip in the classroom
The Flipgrid app is a powerful tool that can be used in the classroom to engage students and promote learning. Some of the benefits of using Flipgrid in the classroom include:
-Allowing students to have a voice: Flipgrid provides a platform for students to share their thoughts and ideas in a safe and secure environment. This can be particularly beneficial for shy or introverted students who may not feel comfortable speaking up in class.
-Encouraging collaboration: Flipgrid can be used to encourage students to work together to solve problems or complete tasks. This can help to promote teamwork and collaboration skills.
-Enhancing learning: Flipgrid can be used to supplement and enhance traditional classroom learning. For example, students can use Flipgrid to record and share video responses to questions or prompts from their teacher. This can help to deepen understanding and engagement with the material.
Ways to Use Flip in the classroom
- Teachers can use the “Grid” feature to create a community or a classroom.
- The Guest Mode can be used to let others provide input in a community of learners or a group of students.
- Create Flipgrid Shorts. Edit and create with emojis, stickers and text. Other users can react and respond to these short videos, creating an engaging learning environment.
- Teachers can combine different short videos and create a mixtape of videos with similar topics.
- Students can create a video book review and then create a QR code for the video. This QR code can be made accessible to everyone by pasting it on or inside the book cover.
- Students and teachers can interact with language learners globally by posting their videos to Flip. Flip helps in surpassing physical barriers to enhance language learning.
- Teachers can use the Guest Post feature to invite guest speakers. These guest speakers can post their videos and even watch the videos posted by students. Flip helps students to interact with industry experts remotely.
- Teachers can create grids and post students’ portfolios by creating individualised topics for every student and asking them to discuss their work under the assigned topic.
Pricing for Flip App
Flip has a free version with limited features. The flip app can be accessed through a paid subscription that provides access to additional features and content. The paid subscription starts from….per month or… per year.
Flip is the perfect way to get students and teachers engaged in the classroom. With it, they can express themselves and teach others by using videos, photos, and voice recordings. It’s easy to use, and it’s a great way to make lessons more relevant to students. Flip can be used for more than just classwork, too. It’s great for meeting with parents and teachers, as well as for lessons on things like public speaking and giving presentations.
Digital literacy is an essential skill set for teachers in the 21st century. Teachers who know how to use digital tools like Flip in the classroom are high in demand. Educators can become tech-savvy by enrolling on digital certifications or learning to use different education tools through self-paced learning platforms like Youtube. But if live and interactive courses interest you, then upskilling courses like Google Certified Educators or Microsoft Certified Educators by upEducators can help you in becoming tech-savvy and learn using classroom tools in a better way.
Author: This article is written by Samiya Rashid for upEducators blog.